Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A little bit of summer in a mug cake

What better way to celebrate the ending of summer then with s'mores!  Being a college student with a sweet tooth, and access to a microwave allows for the creation of the s'mores mug cake.  This cake blends the consistency of a cake with the delightful texture of the s'more.  The cake can be made in exactly one minute and ten seconds.  With a gooey middle overflowing with chocolate and marshmallow it is impossible not to make.  Once the cake is done it is then topped with a delicious marshmallow and a square of chocolate to give it that special touch.

Ingredients:

4 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp finely crushed graham crackers
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp fat free milk
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2-3 small squares of milk chocolate
1 large marshmallow

Directions:

Combine the all the ingredients excluding the chocolate squares and the marshmallows in a large mug.  Once the ingredients are mixed well place the chocolate in the middle of the batter and place in the microwave for 1 minute, then place the marshmallow on top and cook for another 20 seconds.

After the creation was done baking it was then time to try it.  The s'mores cake came out very well and was quite delicious however I decided to tweak the recipe and try the cake again.  This time the cake came out tasting more like a s'more then before.  In the middle of the cake I put a total of 6 pieces of chocolate which came from a regular size Hershey bar.  I also added a marshmallow to the middle.  The cake came out to be a little dry so I added 1/2 tsp of milk to the batter, the milk I used was 1%.  I also shortened the bake time to 50 seconds while still adding 20 seconds to the time for the marshmallow to melt.  For the sugar I used sugar packets and found 6 sugar packets to equal the 2 tbsp needed.

Each week I plan to bring a new recipe to the table and find ways to improve it.  I hope to offer some college hacks for easy clean ups, simple yet delicious mug recipes, and also talk about the importance of using the right mug.

3 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds awesome! I'm definitely going to try this even though I have an oven, mostly because I'm terrible at baking haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one might be my favorite because I absolutely love s'mores! Can't wait to see what other recipes you post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome concept. I'm looking forward to seeing what new recipes you come up with.

    ReplyDelete